Hey, it’s my birthday. My birth certificate says it is. And apparently, I’m 24. In typical fashion, I’ve spent the last few days thinking weird thoughts, like what I’d look like at 70, what kind of things I’d do between now and then, and the people that have impacted my life till now. I realized that many of these people I will never see again, and there are many more who will come, who I’m yet to see. I suddenly feel very thankful. I know I’ve seen something similar somewhere before, but nevertheless…
1. To the random people who have said a kind word here and a compliment there – Thank you for putting a spring in my step.
2. To the unknown faces I smile at on the road, on the bus, at church, and in other random places – Thank you for returning my smile.
3. To the white bearded policeman who for four years, halted traffic on Montgomery road whenever I had to cross while going to school – Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You made me feel special.
4. To that friend who got me my very first present – Thank you for showing me the value of friendship.
5. To the boy who first told me “you’re beautiful” – Thank you. I believe you now.
6. To this great friend who is always there, ready to listen to every stupid idea that pops into my head, encouraging me when I’m up and comforting me when I’m down – Thank you for becoming more like a sister than a friend.
7. To that special friend who sheltered me in my troubled year – Thank you, for nursing my spirit.
8. To the authors of all the books I’ve read – You are too many to name. Thank you, for fuelling my imagination and pushing me to dream.
9. To that teacher who turned me out of his office and told me I would suffer – Thank you for the tears you wrought; and here’s my upper second class for your viewing pleasure.
10. To that other teacher who helped me when no one else could, who pushed away the barricade of religion and went out of the way to show love regardless – Thank you, for ensuring that I made it.
11. To those whose sole mission seems to be getting me hitched – Thank you, for forcing me to look deep within to see how complete I am, and how lucky another complete person will be to have me as his wife. P.S: I’m still not ready to jump the broom. Ha!
12. To my family: what could I be without you? – Thank you for being mine.
13. To the one whose heart I broke – I’m sorry. Truly.
14. To the many I may have disappointed – I beg your forgiveness. Thank you for bearing with my very flawed self.
15. To the ones who have said an unkind word or two to me – Thank you, for making me value loving and kind words more.
16. To the friends who have always had my back (and hopefully always will) despite my many flaws – Thank you. You are worth more than your weight in diamonds.
17. To those who have poured out their hearts to me in times of distress – Thank you for trusting me, and I hope I left you feeling better.
18. To the “chosen” few, who are privy to the goings on in the recesses of my overactive brain, my uncertainties and fears, my insecurities and quirks; the very few people with whom I can be myself – There is a special mansion you inhabit for free in my heart. You are irreplaceable. Thank you.
19. To those who have advised me professionally and personally – Thank you, salt of the earth; Thank you.
20. To those I have worked with – Thank you for bearing with my perfectionism. Thank you.
21. To you reading this blog right now – Thank you for reading, for without readers I am no writer.
22. To my Day One Bae (before anyone else), the One who loves me unconditionally, from the kinky hair on my head to the soles of my feet, my first love, Yahweh – I love, because You first loved me. Thank you, for Everything.
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is the work of art – Garson Kanin.
90s chick; nerd, humanitarian; lover of life, family, fashion, food, art and literature; Christian by birth and choice. In short, I’m like jollof rice: you’re gonna love me. 😉